Amra Choluim Cille
A stunning series of paintings by artist Brian Ferran based on the 6th century poem Amra Choluim Chille was at the centre of a project developed in a partnership between Colmcille, the ULTACH Trust, a cross-community Irish language organisation based in Belfast, and PNE, the Gaelic Arts Agency.
This remarkable poem is the earliest datable work in Gaelic literature, and was composed soon after Saint Colm Cille's death in 597. The Amra Choluim Chille project comprises an striking exhibition and a book, each of which includes:
- A new edition of the poem by P.L. Henry
- Calligraphy by Donald Murray
- 18 images by Brian Ferran in response to the text
- A modern Irish edition of the text
- A new Scottish Gaelic version by Aonghas Dubh MacNeacail
- An English language version
The exhibition has been shown in Derry, home-town to artist Brian Ferran., in Mull, Dublin’s Christ Church Cathedral, and in many libraries and galleries, particularly in Northern Ireland.